I discovered Tom by reading a piece he wrote on freelance consulting. I was fascinated with his approach and how similar it was to mine – especially coming from a completely different perspective – digital marketing & content. We talk in depth about how he thinks about content in today’s world, his thoughts on personal branding, how writing helps him create and leads to serendipitous connections and how he manages a diversity of interests. We also geek out about our love of all things Ribbon Farm and Venkatesh Rao.
His Advice For Careers: Go work somewhere interesting rather than something that is safe. Earlier in your career, Tom pushes people to sacrifice revenue or stability in favor of learning and growth.
- Tom Critchlow & @tomcritchlow
- Field guide for Independent Consultants by Tom Critchlow
- The Consultant’s Grain by Tom Critchlow
- Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed
- Venkatesh Rao on The Knowledge Project Podcast
- Blockchain Man by Taylor Pearson
- RibbonFarm Blog